Friday, April 2, 2010



The prompt for today's poem, April 1, 2010, was "you burn me." I chose to end the poem with this line instead of embedding it within the text or entitling the poem in this way.

Incidentally, if you're ever in Palo Alto, CA, check out NOLA at 535 Ramona for the "soft and sexy grits." Shameless plug, I know, but the grits will change your life.
********************

you are soft and sexy grits
percolating with cream and a hint of sugar salt honey
smooth like fresh asphalt on a desert road
steamed flat by radials and centrifugal force
blazing hot and ready for breakfast tossing retribution
while i bathe.

you are distilled fermented
potatoes herbs sugar cane
151 proof on the back of my throat
some wild dare, another round on my 21st birthday
when i know i have already had
two too many
the gasp and tightly closed lids
as i finally swallow you
whole slowly in parts yet all at once.

you are a bright constellation on my red
baby oiled freckled skin in july in a place
where even the mosquitos know you’re too hot
there is no protection factor imaginable
a number too high to count
like pi spelled out across the moon.

you burn me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home